As I’m writing this, I’m 4/7 books into my Harry Potter re-read already (I finished GoF at the beginning of Feb, so it’s not included in this wrap-up), and I think I owe a lot to the great books I’ve been able to lose myself in this month. I found January really tough this year, although I’m sure none of that owes to it to the time of year. I’ve never suffered with January Blues before. It was another low period to add to the bunch. Thankfully, though, escaping into a book got me through. Especially the magic of HP. And there were some highs even amongst the pain, so here’s to that, an unintentionally Dry January and a lot of five star rated books.
Things that made me proud/happy/feel some kind of positive way:
- The Harry Potter re-read began and you can see my terrible attempt to track it in my Twitter thread, or over on my bookstagram. It’s honestly been so wonderful, especially as for some of them this is only the second or third time I’m re-reading them. I missed and forgot so much before. I love these books, even if the author is letting us down over and over with her recent decisions…
- I finally got new bookshelves. Unfortunately with slanted ceilings it means I can’t quite fulfil my floor to ceiling, wall to wall shelves, but I have got a new bookish nook in my room that I am completely enamoured with. It includes a rainbow, categorised by colour section. I mean, helloooooo.
- One of my bookstagrams of Sara Barnard’s gorgeous ‘Goodbye, Perfect‘ was included in this 2018 YA release round-up on Buzzfeed.
- Watched a lot of ‘Jane the Virgin’ to catch up and I am fully back on the bandwagon with this one. If you haven’t seen it, honestly, what are you doing with your lives?!
- My sister and I went to Cardiff to see Paramore. It was a really special experience as a band she had introduced me to in the first place and as one of her absolute favourites. You can read more about it in my blog post about loving things unapologetically.
- I finished a fic I’ve been writing for the best part of 3 years!! And now I’m in that weirdo limbo of wanting to finally start a completely original piece and just… having no idea where to start and so many ideas tangled up in my brain, not quite mapping out and knitting together.
- Caught up with my lovely Beth and saw ‘Blood Brothers’ at the Bath Theatre Royal. We first saw it on a school trip to London in Year 10, so it was cool to see again, even if we had serious nose bleed seats… I was reflecting on that first time seeing it and how that was actually the trip that had me thinking, as I looked out the coach windows at the London Eye across the Thames, I’d love to live in London. Thinking how much I loved the thrill of a buzzing city. So yep, there you have it. That’s where it all started.
- I’ve finally booked in my third tattoo… And it’s going to be considerably bigger than the teeny tiny tatt squad I’ve got going on so far.
And onto the bookish wrap-up…
- ‘The Fandom’ by Anna Day
- ‘Why I’m No Longer Talking to White People About Race’ by Reni Eddo-Lodge
- ‘You Don’t Know Me But I Know You‘ by Rebecca Barrow ★★★★★
- ‘Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone’ by J. K. Rowling ★★★★★
- ‘Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets’ by J. K. Rowling ★★★★★
- ‘Love, Hate & Other Filters‘ by Samira Ahmed ★★★★★
- ‘Simon Vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda’ by Becky Albertalli ★★★★★
- ‘Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban’ by J. K. Rowling ★★★★★
- ‘Love, Hate & Other Filter’s by Samira Ahmed
- ‘Simon Vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda’ by Becky Albertalli
- ‘The Fandom’ by Anna Day
- ‘I Am Thunder’ by Muhammad Khan
- ‘Made You Up’ by Francesca Zappia